Saturday 14th April 2018

Lutterworth 37 – 17 Moseley Oak


The final score probably didn’t reflect the competitive nature of three quarters of this game, but Moseley Oak were blown away in the first twenty minutes by a Lutterworth onslaught. Strong ball carrying got the home side over the gainline and the quick ball which followed, aided by some high and poor tackling, gave Lutterworth a quick 24-0 lead with some well worked tries. A yellow card for Moseley Oak only added to the early pressure.


The signs were ominous at this point but Oak had barely touched the ball and knew that if they were able to retain it for a decent period of time, it could bring good results. Moseley Oak were able to do this for the rest of the first half where most of the play was in Lutterworth territory. After some good pressure, Paul Cox took a great angle and sliced through to score and get Oak on the board.


The half time score was 24-5 and Oak had a mountain to climb. However, they came out of the blocks fast in the second half when Harry Dawson dived over after a strong driving maul. Lutterworth responded with a penalty before Oak struck again. Paul Cox broke through and offloaded to Tom Johnson before Jack Richards appeared on the outside to receive the scoring pass and touch down. Gareth Jones converted and suddenly it was game on at 27-17.


The Oak revival was slowed by two further yellow cards, and despite some valiant defence, Lutterworth kicked another penalty and then scored a fifth try. Moseley made a few more line breaks through Tom Johnson and Gareth Jones as the game opened up and they threw caution to the wind whilst going for the bonus point try, but the final passes went astray and the chances were gone.


Overall an entertaining game at a friendly club, with an excellent clubhouse and playing surface. The two sides meet each other again at Billesley Common on April 28th, and Moseley Oak will hope for a stronger start to that game than they showed on this occasion.