Club History


The club began in Summer 2008. Selly Oak were using Moseley's facilities but were quickly losing players, and Moseley were keen to once again establish an amateur side. Having once run five or six sides, Moseley at this point only ran one, and most of their colts would either stop playing rugby or join other local clubs.

Therefore, the vision of Moseley Oak was presented to John Richards with the idea that he would oversee the operation and coaching duties would be undertaken by the highly respected Terry Malins. The team would participate in Midlands 4 West (North).



There were less Selly Oak players left than were first thought, and the 08/09 side was mostly made up of the previous year's Moseley Colts side in addition to University of Birmingham students and a handful of Selly Oak players. This inexperience of adult rugby and major lack of players led to some heavy defeats, most notably 49-5 away at Old Yardleians in the opening fixture, and 79-0 away at Willenhall in December. Against all odds, Oak survived relegation to Midlands 5 by winning the final two games of the season, away at Leek and at home v Burntwood. Only six games were won all season. Gareth Davies was 1st XV Captain for the opening campaign.



The second season began promisingly with a number of wins, most notably 5-28 at Old Yardleians, which signalled a change in fortunes from the previous year. Adrian Courtney took over as 1st XV Captain and led with his usual energy and enthusiasm. However, similar problems of player numbers reared their head and the majority of games ended in defeat, with only two wins after Christmas. These home wins against Telford & Burntwood were to prove crucial in barely surviving relegation once again. As many of the Oak student contingent were finishing their studies at UoB, the club lost a number of players in the off season leaving an uncertain future.



John White joined Moseley Oak as Head Coach for the 2010/11 season, and results were immediate. Jack Richards took the reigns as 1st XV Captain, Oak recruited some more students and a number of other former Moseley colts became available more frequently. After a late season surge where Moseley Oak won their final 5 games including a final day 35-12 showdown win against Newcastle, they gained promotion in second place behind league winners Burntwood. The final league table showed 16 wins from 22, a league high points scored of 683 and 14 try bonus points.



Moseley Oak added some experience in the pack when Duncan White came on board for the 2011/12 season. However, the team endured a tough start to their first season in Midlands 2, losing their first five games. The perseverance of the young side was to pay off with a big 35-0 win against Shrewsbury. This was followed by four more wins in the first half of the season, including courageous away performances at Stafford and Tamworth. The excellent form continued after Christmas before tailing off towards the latter end. It was an encouraging campaign finishing the season in sixth place, only three points off third. Antonio Solomon scored 20+ tries for the fourth season running.



Further additions strengthened the squad in 2012/13, with Ben Gerry, Adam Billig and others joining the club. Oak were victorious in their first four games, the highlight of which was a last minute win at Silhillians after a great comeback. The team won most of their games before Christmas but a lack of try bonus points would come back to haunt them. A crucial away game was lost at Leek and this meant that Silhillians finished as league winners. Moseley Oak finished second on 73 league points and advanced to a promotion playoff game at Old Laurentians. However, they were unsuccessful and regrouped for another push the following season.




This was another season of what might have been for Moseley Oak. After scraping through with close wins early on, the team gradually gained form and put seven consecutive wins together before becoming unstuck at Bridgnorth. December saw one of the best ever Moseley Oak performances, dominating Leek at home in a Billesley Common gale by 37-18. A loss at Old Salts ended in a controversial finish, when a series of collapsed scrums and numerous Oak penalties did not result in a penalty try. The result left the team playing catch up in a three horse race for the league and when injuries mounted during the business end of the campaign, the promotion chance once again fell away. A highlight of the season was hosting the School of Hard Knocks TV show, where a number of players ended up joining Oak 2nd XV. The excellent form of Charley Thomas saw him signed by Moseley.



Oak added more experience in 2014/15 when Paul Cox became assistant coach during recovery from knee surgery, and Simon Homer signed as 1st XV Captain. It was well and truly a season of two halves, where Moseley Oak won nine and lost two before Christmas, and won two and lost nine after it. Quite honestly, many of the Autumn wins were not convincing and the team struggled for form. The highlight was a thrilling 31-39 win at Kidderminster in November, where Loui Stelling and Tom Peake both scored tries in the final minutes to secure victory. The low point of the season was the 36-0 February loss away at soon to be relegated Ludlow. The club lost a number of players through the season and were in serious need of reinforcements.



Reinforcements arrived in the form of Ollie Thomas and Neil Mason from Moseley, in addition to a much improved relationship with the main club. This led to a number of Moseley youth players representing Oak during the season and adding some much needed enthusiasm and speed. The forward pack was dominant both in size and performance with Neil Mason and Duncan White topping the try charts, and Jack Richards scored tries in ten consecutive games in the run in. 2015/16 was by far the most successful season to date, as Oak won 22 out of 22, notching up 18 try bonus points and a points difference of +716. The end result was promotion to Midlands 1, which was the aim set out to JR when the club began. 



The first season in Midlands 1 looked promising at the outset, but the loss of fly half James Williams to Moseley and the departure of Neil Mason halted the initial progress. Injuries took their toll and led to some heavy losses to Bournville, Burton and Crewe where morale became low. Players returned and a gutsy 27-28 late November win at Hereford marked an upturn in fortunes. In the New Year the team showed great character and won eight out of eleven matches. Furthermore, the three matches lost were by a combined total of 13 points which was in stark contrast to the Autumn. Oak sat fourth until a final day defeat to league winners Newport resulted in a sixth place finish. John White retired as Head Coach at the end of the season, with an excellent win rate of nearly 75% over seven years. 



In the first season of a new era at the club, the results were mixed. There were some purple patches including five wins out of six in January and February, but Oak were too inconsistent to push for promotion, ending in a seventh place finish. Highlights of the season included doing the double once again over local rivals Camp Hill, and beating Bromsgrove 27-23 on a Friday night at Billesley Common. Increased efforts in recruitment and social media activity by Dave Bayliss led to a number of new players joining and re-establishing an Oak 2nd XV. Most importantly, the club celebrated ten years in existence, which was an excellent feat given the hardships of the early years.